Sunday, October 20, 2013

Apple Pie

Kids, 

I made a pie.  From scratch.  No one cares.  Not doing it again.

Oh well.  I tried.


Not doing it again. Ever.
xoxo
mom


Here is the recipe:

I start with a basic pie crust. There's one boxed version--Betty Crocker--that's exactly like the one from scratch you roll out yourself (perfect every time and I used 2 boxes of it for Eileen's pie). I'm not a fan of the one you buy pre-made in the freezer section. I always use 2 kinds of apples: granny smith (the tart green ones because they keep their shape) and fuji or gala for added sweetnes--or all 3 if you feel adventurous. (For Eileen I used granny smith and Fuji--probably 5 of each.) I peel and slice them and toss them with 1/3 to 1/2 cup of normal cane sugar (not brown sugar) until they are well coated. I don't use much sugar at all because the sweetness comes from the apples. Then sprinkle generously with cinnamon (probably a tablespoon) and about a teaspoon of  "apple pie spice" which is a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, etc. My secret weapon is add about a tablespoon of tapioca pellets to the apple mixture. Most people use flour or cornstarch to thicken pie, which makes it lumpy and pasty. Let it sit for 20 minutes and it will absorb all the juices while baking (this is the same stuff used to make tapioca pudding).

Then add the apple mixture to the uncooked pie shell and put small slices of unsalted butter all over the top. Put on a top layer of pie crust, pinch the edges, and cut slits in the top of the shell. I put it in a 425 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour and I watch for when the edges start to brown and then put foil around them so they don't burn. It's done when the pie crust is done. I like to make large pies so usually it takes an hour to bake.


That's it. It good if can sit for an hour before serving so it sets up a bit. Your house will smell great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment