Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Remodeled Brace:)

Anna,

Gosh, this was a few weeks ago, but since then you have:
 had a temp of 102+
a cough that won't quit
......for three weeks.

But, I digress.  Your brace was bugging you.
Blisters, red sores on your feet, etc.
So, your friend Miguel was ready to step in and make a couple adjustments.

Trying out the brace after a few adjustments.... not quite right.

You wear a left hinged AFO.  I can never remember the name, and while neither of us love this thing,
it is a means to an end.  You were teary and upset (probably due to the fever), and negotiated that you
would celebrate your birthday with Miguel by ditching the brace.
It is not likely, but neither of us argued with you.

This brace is so hard sometimes Anna and I am so sorry. 
You are remarkable.  You are strong.  Your spirit is more resilient than anything I have ever seen.
Soccer has been hard lately.  You can't keep up with your friends on the playground sometimes 
and they don't notice.  When you told me this today I welled up with tears.  

This year is the first time kids have been unkind.  One boy makes fun of your brace.
Another girl makes fun of your pencil grips.  Another your wedge.

Heartbreak.  Really.  I am just so sorry you are going through this.
I keep saying this, but we never really understood what your clubfoot would entail. 
We underestimated this.
I thought kids would be kind.  They are not.

I looked back through my photos of you and each and every one (yes, even the first) just makes my soul light up.







The research shows that you are special.  Most children don't have as many surgeries as you. 
Anna, we don't need the research to tell us this.

Kate Forsythe once said:
“May my heart be kind, my mind fierce, and my spirit brave.”

Anna, you are all of these things and I am so lucky you are my example.
We are all so lucky.

xoxo
mom

No comments:

Post a Comment