Monday, February 10, 2014

Dear Anna

Dear Anna,

When I was pregnant with you and we were told you had a club foot.  I really had no idea what the future would hold.  I will say, I have underestimated this damn foot and your incredible spirit, every.single.step of the way.  Some day, I will write about the story of the ultrasound, that windowless room where everything changed, and the few weeks that followed before we saw the bright light at the end of the tunnel.  

Today, I write to you for one reason only.  With every medical diagnosis, there is the actual diagnosis, and what the carrier does with it.  I imagined that this would be easy.  I realized it would not very quickly.  During one of our routine ultrasounds I asked the tech for a picture of your club foot.  She quickly responded, "we don't give patients pictures of birth defects and deformities."  Um, ok.  I left the hospital and cried.  I was so sad that this label was attached to my baby girl.  Furious is now a better description.  (I cry when I am so mad I don't know what to do with myself.)  My amazing OB thought that was the most ridiculous thing she had ever heard and promptly snapped this shot for me.





Through your various treatments, people have said so many stupid things, and asked SO many stupid questions. (life lesson kids: there is such thing as a stupid question)  Other children have whispered, they have asked questions, but kids have never been cruel.....until now.  

Anna, we have NEVER EVER seen you as anything but perfect.  We know you are perfect.  Because of this, it never crossed our minds that your foot, or brace, or shoes, would be a thing......and now they are. 
This makes me so so sad.  I wish others could see you for all the amazing parts of you.  Your tenacity, dedication, kind heart, giving spirit.  ANY of these things.  Not your one difference.  I watched this Ted talk this evening by Aimee Mullins.  

 One of my favorite parts is that in any diagnosis there is an X factor.  
That factor is the potential of human will.  
Anna Davis, the world better watch out, because your potential is infinite.  
You are stronger and braver than anyone we know.  
We love you, we are proud of you, and if you are having a hard day, we will cry with you.  
But never, ever let some kid on the playground tell you that you are not these things.  

Believe in you, believe in what you have accomplished.
xoxo
mom

No comments:

Post a Comment