Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day

Kids,

Last year, I wrote this about mother's day.
 I am giving this another go, and am so curious what mother's day will hold.
Daddy has already set the bar high with this wonderful video.  See it here.

     In the meantime.
I love the little moments that make me your mom.
 98% of the time, being your mom is amazing,
 but I always say that the mundane parts are my favorite.

Sitting in a chair snuggling my girls.

 Post nap or early morning cuddles.
 Blowing out a birthday candle (the 4th of this birthday).
 Savoring our favorite beach, in our favorite city,
with one of the most spectacular views.
  I also love the big moments.
Holding you for the first time and falling deeply in love.
 Sharing an afternoon treat on a hot summer day.
A silly selfie well past bedtime.
Taking in a remarkable art installation in a favorite cathedral in the city.

These are my favorite parts of being your mom.
Seeing the world through your eyes is the gift of motherhood.

I have spent more time with all of you in the recent weeks and it has been such a treat.

Each day has been hard for me.
I am exhausted.  
All the time.
I am grieving.
I am lost.
I am not thriving. I am surviving each day.

You three are my anchors.
The beauty of each of you is that at your age, your focus is mostly you.
You need me..... for so many things, big and small. 
I need you.
Each year on New Year's I read these words.

This Christmas, mend a quarrel.
Seek out a forgotten friend.
Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust.
Write a letter.
Give a soft answer.
Encourage youth.
Manifest your loyalty in word and deed.
Keep a promise.
Forgo a grudge.
Forgive an enemy.
Apologize.
Try to understand.
Examine your demands on others.
Think first of someone else.
Be kind.
Be gentle.
Laugh a little more.
Express your gratitude.
Welcome a stranger.
Gladden the heart of a child.
Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of the earth.
Speak your love and then speak it again.
Christmas is a celebration, and there is no celebration that compares with the realization of its true meaning
--with the sudden stirring of the heart that has extended itself unselfishly in the things that matter most.
-Howard W. Hunter

I am certainly not doing all of even most of these things, but I am doing my very best on a few.
The saying, "I will make better mistakes tomorrow"
is most appropriate when thinking about mothering.

I do my very best.
I try to be deliberate and thoughtful.
Sometimes I fail.

I will always try to make better mistakes tomorrow.
You three are my light.
You three are my life.
Some days are hard.
Most are amazing.
In the very small ways.

Thank you.
xoxo
mom





No comments:

Post a Comment