Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Grandpa, Part I

Dear Taylor, Anna, and Hudson,

It has been just over three months since your Grandpa died, and one of the things that worries me the most is that you will not remember him.  You tell funny stories about him, and sometimes I tell you my favorite things about him from when I was your age.  In the meantime, I want to remember him. More importantly, I want you to remember.

  • Grandpa LOVED you guys so much.  He thought grandchildren were the greatest thing about life so far.  He loved seeing your pictures, and hearing about your adventures.  
  • Grandpa loved an attraction.  Disneyland, a crowded park, any "event" that would draw a crowd.  He took us to DisneyWorld in 2006 and was so happy to have his whole family together to experience the park.
  • Grandpa was great at magic tricks.  He could make a quarter disappear and somehow, it was always behind your ear, in your nose, or hiding between his fingers.
  • Grandpa sent the most random but great gifts.  A popcorn machine? A coke ice chest? A motorcycle rocking horse, a sushi set, lobster crackers.  Grandpa was most famous for envelopes of cash.  He was so generous with his family.
  • Grandpa had a funny way of parenting.  I tell you this story a lot, and it cracks you up.  If I was fighting with my brother or sister, and one of us would tattle, his response was always, "Great! Super!"
  • Grandpa was a voracious reader.  He read so many books, and kept all of them.  If a topic of conversation came up, he would always say, "I have a book on that, I'll go get it." Almost without fail, he would come back and say, "I couldn't find that one, but I found this other one."  
  • He was famous for giving books to people that he loved.  Rather than giving them the actual book, he would photocopy the book he had, and give that away.
There is so much more I want to remember about him, but let's start with this, and I make this a series.  Your grandpa was a pretty remarkable man, and I have been missing him so much.  I am hoping that these little memories will help you remember him.
xoxo
mom

No comments:

Post a Comment