Monday, June 24, 2013

On Sleepovers

Dear Taylor and Anna,

I address this to you two because your brother doesn't ask to have sleepovers yet:)  In my mind, I have a no sleepover policy.  I think that while the idea always sounds fun, in reality, it is a lot to spend 12-16 hours (on the short end) with a friend, plus, no one ever gets a good sleep, and then the sleepover hangover kicks in.  Boy oh boy, do I regret my bad decisions when that hangover kicks in.

Anna, you had your cousin sleepover last night, and it was great fun, but it was long and everyone suffered the day after because of it.

So, here is how it went.  We played around the house for a bit, then picked up Taylor's friend for a movie and then dinner.  Both were a blast, and we got home just before nine.  This is when the movie snacks kicked in (bad decision #2 by me).  Excitement about sleepover + movie high = disaster.  Jammies, teeth, story, 5 minutes of cousin chit chat, bed?  So funny.  We were not even close.  Screwing around, me yelling, jammies, yelling, teeth, screwing around, story time, chaos, end story time due to screwing around, then endless chatter in bed until I almost started to cry.  I am not sure what time the chatter ended, but I quit after 10pm.
 Now, I thought, "well, they went to bed so late, I bet they will sleep until at least 7." Dumb a#& mummy.  I had a big talk with you Anna at bed time reviewing the clock and talking about what time you could come down.  Clearly this was one of those high-impact, high-reward talks.  You were both down before 5:15am.  This noise woke up the other two.  That's right, everyone up by 5:20.  Did you know they don't even have kids shows playing at this hour?

We went to our fav- la boulange for breakfast- I was too tired to cook and needed as much caffeine as possible.  We wandered around the corner to find the Burlingame Criterium.


Then home for art time.
 After a snack of white rice at 10am, your cousin was picked up and the sh$t hit the fan.  Three crying kids.  Naps for everyone.  Good news- nap time failed too.  One of you, ah hem, had to go to the ladies, and this woke up the youngest, whose crying woke up the middle one- not to name names.

So, 7 hours sleep, 50 minute nap.  Girls, to remind you, we usually run 12 hours at night, and a 2 hour nap.  Only down by 5 hours give/take.
 Lucky for us, the afternoon was packed too.  We are a senior family at your school and had the new family BBQ this afternoon.  Sorry for the crappy iphone picture, I was too tired to try and focus.
 On our way home three hours later, bickering, crying and annoyance ensued until while stopped at a light I got a nice note from our nanny saying she was giving two weeks notice. FML.  Did I mention that we left the BBQ early because Hudson had crapped through his pants.  This was an actual sh*t storm of an afternoon.  

We stopped at home, changed Hudson, got hack in the card, and drove to In-N-Out for a 4:35pm dinner. Home for baths, and everyone in bed by 6pm.  Anna, you were sacked out by 6:10- hence the bright daylight in the picture below.
So, my sweet darling girls.  Any chance you have of future sleepovers just died.  We are done.  No slumber parties either.  You can work this out with your therapist, but today was a clear reminder that it isn't worth it.

xoxo
your mean mom

No comments:

Post a Comment