Saturday, January 12, 2013

Let's Get Cooking

Hi, Kiddos,

I have so many memories from growing up, sitting in the kitchen while my mom made the most delicious oatmeal bread.  Every so often I whip up a batch for our family, but it had been months! 

Today, I got a few hours to myself while you went out for some fun with daddy, so I took advantage and got cooking.

First, the bread:
 Bowl 1 (lower left)- let everything rise together
2 tbsp dry  yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup warm water

Bowl 2 (top left)- let sit until cool to the touch
2 cups boiling water
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup black strap molasses
2 tbsp. butter

Bowl 3
Up to 6 cups sifted flowers (add flour gradually)


Add the yeast mixture to the oatmeal mixture, then gradually add the flour. 
 Once you get it into a ball, knead the dough.  
 Place in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea towel in a warm place.  I usually turn on the oven to 250 when I start and turn it off when I start kneading the dough.  Place in the oven until the ball doubles.
 Like this!.  Cut this in half and put it in greased bread pans.  Cook at 350 for 40-50 minutes.  Super easy, super delicious bread.
Voila!  Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment