Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Road

Dear Taylor, Anna and Hudson,

We haven't talked about Grandpa here lately, and I often think about the speech my brother gave at my dad's funeral.  It was one of those times where words are so powerful they take your breath away.  This isn't a post about your uncle, but reminds me that I should talk to you about his incredible gift for words.  His speech was a powerful, moving, remarkable tribute to a man that was all of those things.  He finished by quoting this blessing:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

He spoke about how our dad was his road, rising to meet him, supporting him along the way through every step.  

I often think about how Grandpa was incredibly supportive of the three of us.  His support always seemed to me like a great devotion or loyalty to us.  No matter what we did, he was all in.  Soccer- check. Swimming- check.  Driving us to and from afternoon activities.  We hosted a party- he made pizza.  Your uncle went to a neighbor's party- he sent him with a homemade pizza.  We needed help with homework- he read most of the book to find the best way to help. We learned to drive- he taught us. 

Grandpa wasn't perfect, and when I am ready, I will tell you the funny things about Grandpa (like how he hated mouth noise or when we played with a soda can by clicking it).   

It has been six months and three days.  Time is marching on and I am still so sad.  I want to get to the place where I think of Grandpa and all these memories from a place where I can smile and not cry, and I am really not there yet.

I love you three so much and I am so grateful to you for telling me your favorite stories about Grandpa. 

xoxo
mom 

No comments:

Post a Comment